Monday, September 9, 2019

UTMB

Chamonix, August 30th, 6pm

I focus on staying calm, although the blaring music and excitement around me is almost overwhelming.  Yet, I feel calm.  It's almost too easy to stay calm, as if there's no excitement, no adrenaline inside me.  And then we're running through the streets of Chamonix.  I focus on my breathing to help me meter out a reasonable effort.  No need to go flying through the first 8k to Les Houches.

Les Houches, 6:33pm

I've checked my watch a few times along the road to Les Houches, but with no landmarks I have no clue how fast I'm going.  I shouldn't really care how long it takes me to get to Les Houches as its barely even the start of the race, but having competitive intentions I don't want to fall too far back early on.  The pace felt quite manageable, I was never breathing hard, and I even hiked a very short uphill section where the road got a little crowded.  35 minutes would be solid.  I'll probably be 37 or 38.  I really don't want to be over 40.

7:00pm

Around me trekking poles clack along as I alternate between hiking and running.  The pitch of the first climb is in between a good hiking grade and a good running grade.  I don't want to work too hard so I alternate between hiking and running.  Neither feels very good.  I wish it was steeper, or gentler, then I could settle in to a better gear.

Le Deleveret, 7:30pm

I can barely run downhill because a stitch in my side.  What's going on, the race has barely started.  Deep breaths, solve my problems.  Its low in my stomach so maybe my waist-light is bothersome.  I didn't train with the waist-light much although it was fine at Cruel Jewel and Angeles Crest.  I can't take off the light, I'll need it soon, but I can shift it to my chest.  Wedge it between the clips on my pack to keep if from falling down.  Walk a few steps, I think I'm good.  Start running, my stomach still hurts but its a little better.

Saint-Gervais, 7:55pm

I want to drop.  I'm ready to be done.  I haven't felt good.  I haven't had fun.  I can't stop, gotta keep going.  I won't even see my parents for another hour.  I can't stop before that.  Just keep moving, get some energy from the crowds.  It feels like an annoying circus around me.  Kristi Pote...a familiar face from Corvallis...funny I even saw her at all.  Stay positive.

8:30pm

I have to get around someone on nearly every up or down.  Then I get passed on the flats.  I want the race to spread out.  There's no rhythm.  I want to run without all these people around.

Les Contamines Montjoie, 8:57pm

There's Dad.  The aid station is crazy, so many people.  No more Tailwind, its too salty.  Give me on package of Shot Bloks to replace each bottle of Tailwind...next time, in Courmayeur.  How do I get out of here?  Oh, that way...thanks Dad.  Back into the dark.

9:10pm

Water.  There's a water spout pouring into a trough of water.  Best to fill up that bottle that had Tailwind.  It could be a little while until La Balme.  Good move.  It's finally starting to space out.  I'm on my own...I prefer it this way.  I'm a little tired of all the road running.  I'm ready for some steep terrain where I can do some hiking.  Something were I can settle into a steady uphill gear.  It's just felt hectic so far.

La Balme, 9:57pm

Hiking, finally.  It feels good.  I'm faster than the other runners around me.  No poles for me, and it seems fine.  Certainly not slowing me down at all.  Here's the aid station.  Make sure to fill both bottles.  And, I'll get a drink of water in the aid station too.  My stomach is still bothersome, that side stitch.  But as always its better on the uphills.  I think the water if helping.  Keep drinking, maybe I have too much salt from the Tailwind and the water will dilute it.  Just get is sorted out by the downhill to Les Chapieux.

10:30pm

More running that I thought.  I was expecting the climbs to be mostly hiking.  That's okay, my running legs feel pretty good.  It's easy to settle into a solid gear and grind away on the uphills.  Plus some hiking too, when its steeper or just to change it up.  Lights up ahead on the mountain.  I wonder how many people are ahead of me.  I wonder where the leader is...and who it is.  Is his light in sight?

Refuge de la Croix du Bonhomme, 11:00pm

My downhill legs feel good.  The descent to Les Chapieux shouldn't take long.  Ooo, its a little technical and a bit tough to follow the rutted, braided single-track.  Flag to flag, but shoot, it feels like I'm not taking the best path.  Sometimes my track gets really rough or take the long way.  Keep moving.  Shoot!  I can feel that side stitch again, gotta slow down.  I can barely run, deep breaths.  Keep moving, maybe it will be a blessing.  It might save my quads for the final downs.  But they feel so strong now, I wish I could just run.

Les Chapieux, 11:27pm

Feeling fair, just keep moving.  Frustrating to not be able to run downhill.  Get water, try some baguette, I'm already tired of gels and they make my stomach hurt more.  Long uphill ahead, keep moving.

12:00am

Why am I here?  Why am I running?  I haven't felt good all day.  It hasn't felt easy at all.  I haven't really cared at all.  Frankly, I wouldn't care if I just stopped right now.  Gotta keep moving though.  Think about my friends in Corvallis, it'll be good to run with them when I get home.  Smile.  Think about every one in detail.  The Thursday night hike, friends, stories, smiles...keep moving.  Stay positive, smile, I will feel better.  Focus on the positive, my friends...keep moving.

Col de la Seigne, 1:00am

Another pass down.  I'm just ticking off the miles so quickly.  It seems like they are just passing by, never feeling like much from one to the next.  But I don't really care.  I just not in it.  Maybe the night is making me tired, but I've not been feeling it all day.  Keep moving, there's so much race left.

Lac Combal, 1:52am

Less of a side stitch on that downhill.  Probably because the trail was so technical by the Pyramids its was hard to go very fast at all.  My stomach does feel better.  Eat a little less frequently, that seems to help, but make sure to get enough.  I shouldn't think this, but I've never had a side stitch to away during a run.  But this will be the time I fix that.  I'll figure it out.  With so much time and miles ahead, I'll get it sorted.

Arete du Mont-Favre, 2:37am

Not feeling as strong uphill.  It feels like I need to pee, but I can't.  I stopped a couple times on the uphill to try because my bladder feels full, but I can't really pee at all.

Gentle downhill, my side still hurts so I've got to go slow.  I wish I could run a little more freely downhill.  Keep at it, things will get better.

Col Checrouit Maison Vieille, 3:04am

Oof, my side stitch is especially bad right now, walk a few steeps, keep moving.  There's the lights of Courmayeur.  Pretty.  The downhill is supposed to be steeper here so that usually better for my side stitch.

Steeper and not too technical.  Running down feels good.  My quads feel great and the descent is going by quickly.  A little choppy with some steps and tight turns.  Deep breaths, breath through my nose.  Maybe my side will be good to go in a while.  If I get it sorted out by Col Ferret, I should be good.  Pretty much all up til there.  But the downhill off Col Ferret will make or break the race.  I will need to be able to run...we'll see.  I think I'll be good.

Courmayeur, 3:30am

Winding through street, more streets, more streets, where's the aid station?  Oh, here into the gym, that's why I couldn't see it.  Mom yells at me coming into the aid station.  I can't see her, but I know its her above on the bridge.  Dad's in the aid station, he's got bottles and gels.  29 minutes, is that the leader?  No, Xavier Thevenard, Pau Capell is going to smash it.  A quick transition and I'm heading out.  Wait, I need to put a tracker in my pack, I'm now in the top 10.  Okay.  I leave with Andrew Symonds, he's says we're 6 and 7.  Whoa, I'm actually doing pretty well.

Refuge Bertone, 4:31am

There's the aid station, it just a little hut...I guess a Refuge.  Dang, no bread.  I was hoping to have some for change from gels.  The last climb felt good, but I could feel my side stitch a bit.  Fill my bottles, keep going.

5:00am

Lights from behind.  Just do the best I can.  My side has been bothersome, but I can keep moving.  Not as fast as I'd like, but better than walking.  I might get passed now, but I'll have a chance to catch up later.  The last 3 climbs should be good for me.  Hiking uphills and steep downhills.  My side should be good enough for that.  I just need to be good to go for The descent to La Fouly and on to the base of the climb to Champex-Lac.  Is that Andrew Symonds, no, someone else.  Maybe Andrew Symonds isn't far behind either.  Keep moving, I don't want to drop too many spots.  It seems like my side is worse after a hard uphill, not sure what to do about that since the uphills are the only place I can go fast.

Refuge Bonatti, 5:31am

Coke?  No, no really, but I'll humor him and give it a try.  He seems insistent.  Thanks.  Actually, it's pretty good.  Much better than gels, maybe I can keep fueling with coke.  I'll grab a banana too, that actually tastes good.

Arnouvaz, 6:11am

I ran that downhill.  Not super fast, but a bit better than I have been.  My stomach didn't hurt so much. Maybe the banana helped.  Its seemed easy on my stomach.  No more gels.  Maybe banana, bread, and some coke.  That might keep me going.  I grab a few bananas in the aid station and get a bottle filled with coke.  Shoot the coke's getting all shaken up and fizzy so I'd best drink it right now.  I'm feeling okay.  Maybe things will turn around.

6:45am

Wrrrrrrr!  Whoa, a helicopter.  Must be filming the lead men and women.  This top men must be over the pass and heading down the backside.  Turn off my headlight, no more use for that.  Finally a view.  Big mountains in every direction.  Truly beautiful.

Col Ferret, 7:08am

I have to stop and pee.  Finally.  Pull over after the Col and take a pit stop.  I'm breathing pretty hard, must be the elevation.  Time to get going, it's pretty smooth trail.  Just can't get rolling.  My side is okay, just winded, must be the elevation.

7:30am

Moving a bit better on the downhill.  I guess I needed to get down from the high elevation.  My side isn't prefect, but its pretty good.  Keep moving.  Just down to La Fouly.  I can't see where it is but its got to be down in the valley somewhere.

La Fouly, 8:08am

Just keep breathing, deep breaths.  I can't run the rollers.  I just get winded running anything uphill.  Stay positive.

There's Mom and Dad.  No crewing but they can see me.  I'm doing okay...just okay.  "I just can't catch my breath on any of the ups.  I don't know what's up."   I grab a bunch of food in the aid station.  Maybe that will help.

8:30am

Time to run again.  The 10 minute walking break is done.  Really struggling, but time to run again.  Downhill, but I'm getting winded.  Keep moving, just 10 minutes of running.  Deep breaths.  I'm barely moving.  Keep breathing, deep breaths.

10:00am

All uphill to Champex-Lac.  Keep hiking.  Keep breathing.  Not sure what I can do.  Unbuckle my pack, maybe I'll be able to get a deeper breath.  Just out of breath.  I'm barely moving.  Gels?  Water? I don't think they'll help, but I'll try.  I'm just out of breath, not sure what's going on.

Champex-Lac, 11:12am

There's Mom.  I guess she walked down from the aid station.  Hopefully it isn't far.  "I think I'm done"

3 comments:

  1. Again, so amazing and wonderful to hear your account. I’m so sorry for the rotten issues but glad you’re a survivor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, it was a bit of a rough day and I have not regrets about not finishing. It just wasn't very fun out there.

      I was definitely a bit disappointed the day didn't go better, but at this point I'm viewing the race as a learning experience that will be beneficial for the future. There's a few things I would do differently, but also a lot that went well. In the next few days, I'll try to write up some of my post race reflections on UTMB and post that.

      Delete
  2. Eu li um comentário on-line de uma jornalista norte-americana que revela como ela encontra um namorado, 4 meses depois que seu ex-namorado terminou.
    Eu envio uma mensagem de e-mail para entrar em contato com o mesmo Dr.Amiso, porque eu tenho essas poderosas intenções de que as coisas vão funcionar para mim, eu acreditava em testemunhos que são provas da vida real. Percebi que seria bom compartilhar aqui, pois sei que também inspirará outros.
    Para minha sorte, me deparei com o contato de email do Dr.Amiso em um post do blog. Hoje estou testemunhando com alegria e felicidade para o mundo ... este é um dos momentos mais alegres da minha vida. Dr. Amiso, o Grande Feitiço de Amor, Almoçou um feitiço em meu nome para recuperar meu ex-marido com seu feitiço de magia e encantamento de amor.
    Sou casado há mais de 6 anos e foi muito terrível porque meu marido estava realmente me traindo e estava procurando por um divórcio, terminamos há quatro meses e voltamos novamente depois de tanto implorar por bons presentes de amor .
    Eu amo muito meu marido. Eu não poderia ter feito nada para machucá-lo ou fazê-lo se sentir mal mais ... eu só queria que ele voltasse a me amar para sempre. hoje nós dois estamos vivendo felizes juntos. Eu o amo muito. O que quero dizer é que ele foi meu primeiro amor (pelo menos é o que parece).
    sou alegre e grato a esse grande homem. A princípio, eu estava com medo da dúvida, mas experimentei e funcionou para o meu bem. Estou certo de que isso também funcionará para você, 100% de certeza.
    contate-o através de seu e-mail pessoal via (herbalisthome01@gmail.com)
    ele tem os poderes para resolver os seguintes problemas de relacionamento;
    * Feitiços de amor Win-Back Ex-amante, seja rico e fique com você para sempre.
    * Feitiço mágico de sucesso e promoção, Ninguém mais exceto somente você.
    * Ervas e raízes tradicionais para curar câncer de mama, corpo, boca e odor / descarga viral.
    * Feitiço para aumento / redução de seios e pênis.
    * cure Stop Nightmare, Bad Dreams, & Convuction.
    * limpeza espiritual, queima de gordura e regulação de açúcar no corpo.
    * magia da fertilidade - FRUTAS DAS MULHERES, e leve seu próprio filho.
    * Livre de assassinato e seqüestro.
    * Decretando Magia, Spell Lottery e Win-Games Spell
    A internet realmente ajuda muito no fornecimento de soluções rápidas e urgentes para os problemas da vida.
    aqui está o endereço de email pessoal do Dr.Amiso; herbalisthome01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete