Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Mt. St. Helen's

Last weekend Mom, Dad, and our friend Betsy climbed Mt. St. Helen's.  The first time I climbed the mountain was on my brother's 7th birthday.  We've climbed it on his birthday (or that weekend) many times since.  Typically late September brings cool weather and clear skies, but we've had a few crappy days on the mountain as well.

This year we climbed St. Helens Saturday morning, then drove back down to Portland to see the Portland Timbers play Dallas.  This hike up the mountain was pleasantly cool with lots of nice views of the fall colors on the surrounding hills.  The summit was a bit windy so we didn't stay long before heading back down.  By the time we reached treeline, the clouds had rolled in so we descended through a layer of clouds before finishing our hike through the trees.  Here's some picture from the trip:

Just above treeline

Dad climbing through the boulders

Fall colors on the hills


Looking up toward the top

Looking back down the ridge


Clouds rolling into the valley

A hazy Mt. Jefferson on the horizon

Mt. Adams


Dad

Mt. Adams

Almost to the top



Spirit Lake and Mt. Rainier





Crevasses


Mom, Betsy, and Dad on the summit rim


Dad and Mom


Mom and Betsy starting down from the top



Mt. Adams


Dad in the boulders


Betsy and Mom descending through the boulders


Clouds

Mt Adams

Into the clouds

Some beautiful fall colors

Fall doesn't just bring beautiful colors, but the start of school.  That's been keeping me busy the last week but I've been able to get out and do some running and biking.  After our backpacking trips my shin has been feeling fine so I've been alternating between running and biking without any sign of my shin injury.  I did very little running all summer, so its nice to be able to get back at it again.  I will be running the Condor 25K this Sunday and I'm excited to see how it goes.  I might not be fast, but I'm excited to be part of the trail running scene again!

No comments:

Post a Comment